It’s one thing to say that you want to be a business or organisation with a learning culture, but to actually see it cultivated is another story. This requires the acceptance of particular attitudes, values and practices that support ongoing learning.
Training is a key part of the process when it comes to establishing a learning culture.
Learning serves to expand thinking, open minds and encourage individuals to reinterpret their world. Peter Senge identified five disciplines of a learning culture that contribute to building a vibrant and healthy learning culture.
- Personal Mastery: Cultivate an environment where individual goals are valued and achieved through partnership with the employee and the organisation.
- Mental Models: The idea that people’s perception of their environment shapes their decisions and behaviour.
- Shared Vision: Encourage teamwork and sharing by collaboratively setting goals and planning objectives.
- Team Learning: Valuing group conversation and thinking skills so that together employees create solutions and new ideas with their various skill sets.
- System Thinking: Bringing different departments together to see the bigger picture…not just their section of the business.
Benefits of creating a learning culture include:
- Employees are more prepared for change
- Employees expect and look forward to change and development
- Businesses are more responsive to the shifts and changes of the market
- Innovation brings growth
- Employees are more loyal and energetic
If you are interested in how to create a Learning Culture within your business or organisation, take the time to research and study how to implement strategies to make it happen.
- The Fifth Discipline, The Art & Practice of the Learning Organisation. Peter M. Senge. Random House 1992.
- The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook, Peter M. Senge, Charlotte Roberts, Richard B. Ross, Bryan J. Smith, Art Kleiner. Nicholas Brealey Publishing 1994.
For more information about career and success, Contact Us at Global Training Institute. At GTI we are passionate about helping people succeed and achieve their career and life goals. Global Training Institute is a Registered Training Organisation and offers accredited online training in the areas of Management,Business, Civil Construction,Local Government, Governance, Mining, Leadership and Project Management.