Centrelink Payments

Global Training Institute is an approved institution for a range of Centrelink financial support services, including Youth Allowance, Austudy and Abstudy. Click Here for a list of the Global Training Institute courses approved by Centrelink. For detailed information regarding Centrelink Financial Assistance click here.

Youth Allowance/Austudy/Abstudy is available to Australian, full time eligible students on approved courses. Youth Allowance is for people under 25 years of age; Austudy is for people 25 years of age and older. Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students can claim Abstudy instead of Youth Allowance.

When applying, you will need to include the nationally recognised trainining title and identification code for your course, as found on www.training.gov.au. Students wishing to apply for Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance are required to include a letter from their registered training provider as part of the application process. Please contact Ivy College’s Student Support Team by calling 1300 658 517 to request this letter.

For more information, contact Centrelink by telephone on: 13 24 90

NB: Please contact Centrelink as soon as you complete your course, or if you obtain a job before you complete your course, so that benefits may be discontinued. You will be required to re-pay any overpayments received.

Youth Allowance

Youth Allowance provides financial help for young people who are studying full time; undertaking a full-time Australian apprenticeship; training; looking for work; or sick.

You may be able to get Youth Allowance if you are:

  • 16 to 20 years old and looking for full-time work or undertaking approved activities. If you do not have a Year 12 Certificate or equivalent qualification (Certificate Level II or above), you will have to undertake study or training in order to qualify for Youth Allowance
  • 18 to 24 years old and studying full-time
  • 16 to 24 years old and undertaking a full-time Australian apprenticeship.

Residency requirements and parental means tests also apply.

You may be eligible for Youth Allowance if you are 16 to 17 years old and studying full-time if:

  • You need to live away from home in order to study, or
  • You are considered independent for Youth Allowance.

In some circumstances, you may be able to get Youth Allowance if you are aged 15, or older than the school-leaving age in the state or territory in which you live, and you have been assessed as being independent. Being independent means that your parents’ income and assets are not considered when determining whether you can get Youth Allowance or the amount you can get paid.

Please visit the Youth Allowance section of the Centrelink website for further information regarding your eligibility.



Austudy provides financial help to full-time students and Australian apprentices aged 25 or more.

You may be able to get Austudy if you are:

  • Aged 25 or more
    • Studying full-time in an approved course at an approved educational institution, or
    • Undertaking a full-time Australian apprenticeship.

Please visit the Austudy Payments section of the Centrelink website for more information.



ABSTUDY provides help with costs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians who are studying or are undertaking an Australian apprenticeship.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians can get special help with the costs of studying or of undertaking an Australian apprenticeship.

To get ABSTUDY, you must be:

  • An Australian citizen
  • An Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
  • Enrolled in an approved course
  • Not receiving any other government assistance to study or complete your apprenticeship or Traineeship, and
  • Normally living in Australia.

While studying an approved course at Upskilled, ABSTUDY can help with your education costs, accommodation costs, living costs, fares (to travel to your place of study each term or semester if you need to study away from home) and prescription medicine costs.

If you qualify for ABSTUDY, you may be entitled to other payments and benefits too. Additional payments may also be payable to some customers including; Assistance for Isolated Children, Pensioner Education Supplement, Mobility Allowance, Education Entry Payment and Training Supplement.

Please visit the Abstudy Payments section of the Centrelink website for more information.